Societies in Ontario
Brighton Garden Club
History and Objectives
The Brighton Horticultural Society was organized on April 12, 1925 at a meeting in the Brighton Town Hall. The Reverend A. K. McLeod presided over this meeting during which a full slate of officers was elected and 125 members joined. Meetings have been held every year since that time.
The Society’s floral emblem, the Marigold, a flower known in the Middle Ages, was chosen in 1973.
The objective of the Brighton Garden Club and the Horticultural Societies Act (Bill 66) of the Province of Ontario is to encourage interest and improvement in horticulture in our district:
● by holding meetings for the instruction and discussion on subjects connected with the theory and practices of horticulture;
● by encouraging the planting of trees, shrubs and flowers on public and private grounds;
● by promoting balcony and community gardening and outdoor beautification;
● by arranging field trips, contests, competitions, and exhibitions related to horticulture and awarding prizes;
● by distributing seeds, plants, bulbs, flowers, trees, and shrubs;
● by promoting the protection of the environment;
● by promoting the circulation of horticultural information.
King Edward Community Centre
81 Elizabeth Street
Brighton, Ontario K0K 1H0
Annual Membership 2019: $20 per person…January to December. Visitors welcome to our meetings (fee:$5.00 per meeting)
|Vice President||Linda Wallis|
7:00 p.m. on the 4th Tuesday of each month (except July, August and December) Click on the PDF document at the bottom of this page to see full details.
Join us for lively and entertaining speakers with informative presentations. Click on the "2020 BGC List of speakers at monthly meetings" PDF document at the bottom of this page to see full details.
|Plant Auction||May 12, 2020 - 6:30pm||King Edward Community Centre 81 Elizabeth Street, Brighton||Auction starts at 7pm sharp with Auctioneer Al Hopkinson|
|Spring Flower Show||June 13, 2020 2:00 to 4:00 pm||King Edward Community Centre 81 Elizabeth Street, Brighton||Exhibits to be in place between 9:00 and 11:00am|
|Rose Show||June 23, 2020 6:15pm||King Edward Community Centre 81 Elizabeth Street, Brighton||Part of June General Meeting|
|Flower & Vegetable Show||August 8, 2020 2:00 to 4:00 pm||King Edward Community Centre 81 Elizabeth Street, Brighton||Exhibits to be in place between 9:00 and 11:00am|
|Plant Sale||September 12, 2020 8:30 to 11:00am||Curling Club Parking Lot, 85 Elizabeth St, Brighton||Outdoor Sale|
|Photo Contest||Last day to submit photos: October 27, 2020||King Edward Community Centre 81 Elizabeth Street, Brighton||See page 10 of our Yearbook|